Friday, July 31, 2009

Money and my dad

I finally decided to read a book. Not that I don't read, I just don't often make time for it...just the TV. I took my dad's copy of Dave Ramsey's book, The Total Money Makeover. Dad wanted all his children to have that book; to read it and live it. After the first half I am nostalgic about my dad and all he wanted to teach us and do for us, but didn't get the chance.
Now I am committed to doing this 'money makeover' for my dad.

BUT...

I don't quite understand how to rid us of debt when we don't have an income. I haven't really worried much about that until now, and, boy, that's a big one!!
I'm actually scared.
Josh has been looking and looking for a job. He's only working two mornings a week. And although it's a great amount to be making for working so little time, it's not enough to cover housing AND something...just housing. We feel like we've made the right decision staying in Utah for now, but reality is really slapping me hard, I don't quite get where we should go from here!!

I don't know exactly what Mr. Ramsey's advice would be, nor my dad's.
Do we go where we can make the most money quickly, get the loans paid off, and then 'settle down'?
Or...
Do we start a long-term career option that will pay low to begin with but pay out much more with a few years of hard work??

I kinda see the answer, but I've been wrong before.

Where's my daddy when I need him??

3 comments:

  1. I hear ya'. We were fortunate enough to leave school debt free. We moved to Dallas with the understanding that we would be guaranteed to find a job, which we did... it just took longer than we thought. We incurred more debt than we anticipated. Then, the job didn't make enough money to cover all of our expenses either... so the debt increased. Even went to the Bishop's storehouse, and it still didn't cover everything! Haha. It's taken a lot of patience, bugdeting, and hard work and we're still not out of debt, but we're on our way out now. And it is so stressful to see the debt go up, up, up, with no end in sight. We've been there. Just hang in there.
    P.s. Move to Dallas. Just kidding. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is awesome that you are reading, or have read The Total Money Makeover. I really enjoyed that book. (I recommend More Than Enough too.) Yeah, deciding what is best for your family is a huge, hard decision. Working for the army we've decided that we really wouldn't mind going commercial, or even being an employee with a salary at a big private practice. But, as with you, being in private practice with the potential to own your business and have a HUGE income also looks like a fabulous plan! I am excited to find out where you end up! Oh, and what you mentioned about getting a job for a few years before you settle, that is essentially what Lee and I are doing and I think that is a great idea. It would be a time to get rid of a bunch of debt with a nice high-paying job, enjoy the carefree-ness of being "just" an employee--but really learning the ropes of the business, etc., and really consider where you want to be long-term. Lee and I have enjoyed it a lot, and since we don't know where we want to settle it's been good to have the time to think and talk and figure it out. It's like we are waiting to put off being all grown-up. We know that we are going to have to decide next year, and frankly it's a bit scary! But it is exciting too--we enjoy knowing the we can literally go anywhere we want.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jenn, I checked your blog to see if there were any baby pictures yet! I hope all went well and can't wait to see the little guy. Oh, I feel for you about the job situation and hope it works out soon. This whole past year (or more) was so stressful not knowing what we were going to do and not knowing how it could work out the way we wanted it to. So we finally took another option and so far, so good. But I still look at the base salary and it's not going to cover everything...hopefully work will pick up for him and then he'll get paid based on production. But anyway, you two are so great and I know you will do what's right for your family. ANd of course you can always move to Virginia! :)

    ReplyDelete