Monday, December 20, 2010

RECIPES!!

GRANOLA
(I eat 1/2 to 1 cup of this for breakfast, with Almond milk we make at home, or over fruit. My kids eat it too, so I usually double it, but I'm gunna triple it because I want it to last more than a week and a half!  Also, I buy all of the ingredients at the bulk bins at WinCo (except oats, which I bought in bulk elsewhere), which makes this a VERY cheap granola cereal. I buy coconut oil online (don't get it at Walmart, it is refined, and I don't think Winco carries it.  If you're using a different oil, do your homework for which is the best.  If you need more info, let me know.)  Winco has raw honey, which is always the best idea if you're eating it, but if you're cooking with it, raw doesn't matter, so get it in bulk where you can get it cheap.

Mix and Stir WELL in a LARGE bowl:
6 C Rolled Oats (I do NOT use quick, but I think either will be fine)
1 C Coconut (I do NOT use sweetened, they have unsweetened at Winco)
1/3 C Sesame Seeds
1/3 C Sunflower Seeds
1/4 C Pumpkin or other seed (optional, shelled pumpkin seeds are kinda bitter, so taste them first)
1 C Chopped Nuts (try to get RAW; you can find cashew pieces and slivered or sliced almonds at Winco...they also make a fantastically healthy snack!)
1 C Wheat Germ (this adds SOOO much protein, but if you can't have wheat, it's optional)
1/3 or 1/2 C Ground Flax (don't skip this!! you'll get SOO much more health benefit by adding it!!! Flax seeds in bulk are cheap, then just throw them in the blender until they are as fine as your blender can make them!)
Cinnamon (as much as you like)
Stir all this together WELL.

Mix and heat together the following:   (I just do it in my glass measuring dish)
1/2 C Oil (COCONUT is the best, obviously, and adds an amazing flavor, but use your unhealthy oil if you haven't joined the coconut group!)
1/4 C Molasses (this is strong, but adds proteins and vitamin Bs, so add a little and feel good about it)
3/4 C Honey
1 1/2 t Vanilla
Pour over the dry mixture and mix very well.

1 C dried fruit  (I use dates b/c they add a really great flavor to granola! They are not dried with added sugar, like some raisins and cranberries are, but you could use them too.  I suggest adding them in the last few minutes of baking, or just mixing them in after, otherwise they get hard.)


Put mixture onto cookie sheet (one batch fits on one large sheet, obviously one with sides).
Bake at 250F for an hour.
You can stir 1/2 hour into it, but I don't feel like it makes a difference. If you are doing a double batch, put both pans in at the same time and just switch places in the oven half way through.
I let it cool on the pans without stirring; then it gets kinda chunky and crunchy.

This recipe is a masterpiece in progress.  Sometimes I add more honey so the kids like it better, plus that adds more of a crunch after baking...play around with it and let me know if you find something fantastic to do!!


MEATLESS DINNER IDEAS:

These are probably things everyone always eats, but we can go more than a week not eating meat and even through this winter I haven't felt like I need it.  If I do, I eat it.

SOUP
This one is SOOO delicious!  I'm not going to put recipes here, because I am in the process of collecting them myself.  Especially in the winter, a nice, creamy broccoli or potato soup...nothing is better.  Even tomato based soups are amazingly refreshing, and a GREAT alternative to having any milk-based soup. 
It's also a great idea for making and sharing.  You can always add more and take some to a friend! 

Here is an amazing and healthy cornbread recipe, which goes great with soup, or a good whole wheat roll does a nice job too.  Have fun with this one...especially if your kids will eat it, I am limited cause mine won't!!


DELICIOUS Sweet Corn Muffins
1 1/2 cup of whole wheat flour (we grind ours weekly), or maybe add some all purpose flour and not only whole wheat...we do it, but we're used to that.
OR
3/4 c whole wheat flour
1/4 c almond flour (we can make this in our blender with raw almonds from Winco)
1/4 c teff flour
1/4 c all purpose flour
Then add:
2/3 cup agave or honey (agave is a natural sweetener, it's liquid, I think Winco sells it, we get ours at Costco, but I like to use honey anyway)
1/2 cup corn meal
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 t salt
1 1/4 cup (soy) milk (we don't have soy, so I use regular or almond)
2 eggs
3/4 cup butter, melted (you could reduce this, but it's really yummy...or do 1/2 butter, 1/2 coconut oil...healthy!)

Preheat oven 350F, put paper cups in muffin tins.
Combine flours, corn meal, baking powder and salt in medium bowl.
Combine honey/agave, milk, eggs, butter in a small bowl; mix well.
Add to flour mixture, stir until just blended.  Pour into prepared muffin cups.
Bake for 18-20 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
Cool in pans for 5 minutes. Serve warm.

Another great way to eat the Corn Bread is with:
Spaghetti Squash and Chili
This late in the season, I have still found spaghetti squash at Walmart.  You cut it in half and put it meat-side down in boiling water (probably add salt) for 15-ish minutes (until the meat is easily scrapped off with a fork).
We've been using canned chili right now, but it's a good one you can make a lot and freeze for later. That way you can make it meatless too!
You put the chili on the squash and it's an amazingly delicious combination.


Meatless Tacos
A family favorite--delicious, and VERY cheap to make...here again, I buy spices from the bulk bins at Winco!

3 Cans beans (whichever kind you like, if using dry...I don't really know how much in measurements that is)
Corn (we use frozen and just dump it in, if one kid doesn't like it we use less, more if they all will eat it)
Onion (you can saute as much as you like, we use powder cause of kids)
1- 1 1/2 tsp Chili Powder (adds the spice, so decide what you/kids will like)
1 tsp Cumin
1 tsp Salt (pure sea salt is always best)
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp Garlic Powder
Small Can Tomato Sauce
1/3 cup water

Add all ingredients to a sauce pan and simmer until thickened (5-15 min).
Serve just like tacos!!

Spanish Rice Bake
I usually double this recipe so it makes a full cake-pan sized dinner.

1 (10 3/4 oz) can cream of chicken soup
1 cup salsa
1/2 cup water
1 cup whole kernel corn
3/4 cup uncooked long-grain white rice (we use Quinoa, which can be used exactly the same, just make sure the center is done...or the grain is clear. Or we use brown rice, precooked for 1/2 hour, then baked the same)
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 can black beans
(you can add 4 boneless chicken breast halves, or some tenders if you have people who love the meat)

1. Mix soup, salsa, water, corn, beans and rice in 2-quart shallow baking dish (or 9x13 pan if doubled)
2. Top with chicken, if using, and sprinkle with chili powder (we omit this for the kids)
3. Cover tightly with casserole lid or foil.
4. Bake at 375F for 45 minutes or so (I usually do it a little longer)
5. Sprinkle with cheese.


Pasta and homemade Alfredo

We have Alfreo, I'd say, at least once a week. When you find something no one ever complains about, you just do it.  I had stocked up on regular spaghetti noodles enough that I'm still doing 1/2 and 1/2 with wheat noodles.  I'll make it all wheat when we're through the regular.  They definitely taste different though...so I don't really recommend cold-turkey switching, unless you know you like it.  You can also take out the pasta all together and use Spaghetti Squash...it tastes SOOOO good!!!

There are lots of other Pasta dishes out there, and they don't always have meat in them, or you can omit it.  I recommend not over-doing pasta because it's high calorie, usually, with all the cheese.  I have an AMAZING lasagna recipe I'll put on when I have more time!!!

I make it so often that I don't measure the spices...so this is just a guess.  I'll also use canned spaghetti sauce and combine them, if I'm wanting the redish taste.

2-3 cups vegetable or chicken broth (I use granules to make it)
Once it is boiling I add:
1/2 to 3/4 block of light cream cheese (neufchatel stuff)
Garlic (minced, about a tsp, or a clove...?)
1 tsp basil (I'm generous with this one, we love it)
1 tsp parsley
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp whatever else smells or looks good in the cupboard
a little nutmeg (somehow this is used often in Alfredo...I use it, but don't know what it does)
Dump or two of grated Parmesan Cheese, or a blend of Italian cheeses
Mix it well with a wire whisk, then bring back to simmering.
I use corn starch as a thickener, so this is what I do:
Get 1/4 to 1/3 cup cold water, add 3 to 4 Tblspns of cornstarch, depending on how much broth used. Mix that until it's liquid and then slowly pour into the simmering liquid while stirring constantly.  Let it simmer at least one minute after adding.


Mini/Homemade Pizza

If it's a fave at your house, this is one way to do it.  We do it rarely cause it's work for me!
For MINI:
Use English Muffins (you can get wheat ones)
Put pizza sauce on them OR
Use any leftovers from the ALFREDO recipe above...I make extra if I know we're doing pizza.
Add your cheese and other toppings (obviously not meat, if you want meatless)
We like olives, mushrooms, peppers, spinach, slices of tomatoes...whatever we have.
Bake at 350F until it's all melty-delicious


Large Pizza:
I buy Rhodes Whole Wheat bread dough for the crust. One loaf is enough for 2 pizzas or 1 large and a few small ones.
The Rhodes directions say to let the crust rise for 30 minutes before you add toppings and bake.
IF you want meat...I sautee some chicken in bbq sauce, chop it, and put it on!
Then bake at 425F for 15 minutes or until the crust is golden.

Stir Fry
This is a great one, IF your kids will eat it. I have to do chicken for the kids and veggies for me...sad.
I'm sure there are lots of great ways to do it.
I sometimes use a recipe, sometimes I just combine:
veggies (frozen combo, or fresh and frozen or whatever I feel like eating)
soy sauce
garlic
ginger and....
whatever else....in a pan and saute them until they are as done as I like them!
We serve it with brown rice, or rice noodles.
YUM!!

Eggs & Hashbrowns
Okay, so that's not exactly meatless, but it isn't red meat, and it's a good idea for dinner, if you don't already do it.

Meatless Sloppy Joes
This may look kinda like the meatless tacos, but the flavor IS different...and you can still serve it on buns (whole wheat, of course)!
2 lbs worth of beans (I would guess on this too...so do your best)
1 cup or about 2 cans of tomato sauce
1 onion (or onion powder), chopped and sauteed
1 qrt tomatoes (I use stewed, or plain diced, cause it's what I have)
1/2 t dry mustard, 1 t prepared mustard
1/2 t chili powder
1/2 t ground sage
1 t curry powder

Combine all ingredients and let simmer 10 minutes.
SERIOUSLY, this is DELICIOUS...You'll never do canned sauce again!...if you did.


Okay, I'll prolly add more later.
Plus PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE GIVE ME MORE IDEAS IF YOU HAVE SOME....I'M ALWAYS IN THE MARKET FOR NEW, YUMMY DINNER IDEAS!!!
Also, you can always search the big recipe sites, like food.com, epicurious.com, recipes.com, cook.com....there are probably many more.  I have found some GREAT gems there!

2 comments:

  1. THANK YOU! I'm excited to see more! I like the way you do things and I'm more of a follower in the food arena so.....lead on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I make sloppy joes using cooked wheat, instead of hamburger. They are delicious! If you have "doubters" you can do half/half at first and no one will notice.

    ReplyDelete