I learned long ago not to put off journaling something you want to remember, but clearly I don't follow through. Of all my children, Lelia may be the one who cares the most about her birth story, since she will
be the one going through it herself (if she chooses, I guess)...so here's what I can put together.
Where to start now....
We wanted a baby on 11/11/11. Everything lined up right, so we were hoping for labor to cooperate too. I had made my weekly appointments in advance, and although at the time I didn't think we'd really get our wish and have the baby on 11/11, I DID think we'd have her on the actual due date of 11/12, or at least before the 16th, which was the date the midwife had given us, so even when I made all my appointments, I didn't think I'd be keeping them. Oh my, was that a long couple weeks!!
Planning a birth at home was new to us, and as the due date drew near, I admit I was nervous. We had all our questions and concerns addressed already, but it was somewhat unfamiliar...even though I've had 4 babies already. Because of the added nervousness, I kept worrying that I was preventing my body from going into labor. However, Josh gave me a blessing at one point and I knew it was fine, but that she would come when she was ready. I'm really glad she waited until she did, even though it was hard to wait. She came so much better prepared for life!
I had an appointment on the 10th. She stripped my membranes, I think. I had contractions all the time, but after that some nights they actually woke me up. I'd be diligent and time them, but I never felt anxious enough to wake Josh up or call Dr. Trautman. Some nights they were 10 minutes apart, sometimes they were really painful but further apart. Every night they would stop.
Then I had an appointment again the 17th. I was pretty devastated going into that appointment, having made it fully thinking I wouldn't be needing it. Dr. Trautman was not happy I hadn't called her on the nights I'd been having contractions, but since we hadn't needed her, I wasn't too worried about. I did tell her I'd call if it happened again. She definitely stripped membranes this time and we both figured it'd be over the weekend. I made an appointment for Monday, just in case.
Definitely had contractions over the weekend, and Andrea came. That was both wonderful and frustrating, because she was coming to see a new baby, not a pregnant sister! However, she had asked to be at the birth if it happened while she was here, so it turned out great to have her.
I went to my appointment Monday the 21st. Dr. Trautman was surprised I hadn't delivered over the weekend. I was frustrated and tired. She stripped membranes again and was sure I wouldn't need another appointment before the baby came. I recall having really hard, strong contractions throughout the evening, but they were never regular. I slept for a while, then I couldn't sleep well. I think it was around 4 AM that I called and let the midwife know I was hurting, but not regularly. She told me to rest as much as I could, but call her again when they were closer. They never got closer. I did sleep more.
I think she called me the next morning asking how I was because she had a home visit in another town. She came and checked me. Still disappointing. For all the pain I'd had (which wasn't THAT much, but still...), I was only dilated to, as far as we can recall, only about a 5. BUT (she was really encouraging), I WAS in labor so whatever my body was doing, it was going to have a baby. So she left and told me to call if contractions became regular. Never called. She called again when she was back in town. And I can't remember if she or I called after 2, but we decided she'd finish up some shopping and then come over. Still no regular contractions, but some of them really hurt.
Josh had busied himself all day doing things. In general it was SUCH a busy time to have a baby!! Andrea was cooking all day Monday and Tuesday. We had 6 cute kids around to keep entertained and happy. Thanksgiving was a big deal, and although it might have been bigger, we wanted it still to be full of food and good times. Josh was doing everything I would have done besides all he would have done. PLUS he was nervous about having a baby in our house and getting everything ready. I had kept him from putting up the pool until the day of...I didn't want to see it and feel frustrated over and over. There was some serious frustration related to that too--the adapter to hook the hose to the shower head didn't actually fit. So, he used the water source to the washer in the closet (luckily we had it), and the water ended up being too hot, since he had to fill it hot then cold...in shifts. We also had the hose fly out of the pool a couple times too. He was a stressed Daddy a few times that day. He also was determined to make some soup so that I would have something good to eat, along with those at the birth, at any time. I feel like I hardly saw him, or had his support for just me, with all the other things he was doing. EVERYTHING else was MUCH better about being at home. It was just hard not to have him worrying about me and only me.
Once Dr. Trautman and Ty (her assistant) came, it felt like we were in business and really going to have a baby. She made me sit and stand in different positions to try to encourage contractions. I couldn't get in the pool until they were regular, but I wasn't hurting enough that I thought I needed it anyway. We visited some, she set things up and got paperwork done, then we played a game. Andrea took dinner to the kids at Mom's and helped feed them. Finally I went to lay down for a bit. Laying down actually made the contractions hurt, so I asked if I could get into the pool. She came to check me again. Still only about a 6. She asked if I wanted her to break the water to see if that would get things regulating. Anything to have a baby! It was just before 7 PM at this point.
After a contraction or two on the bed, we made the steps to the pool. The water felt good, but a bit hot. It definitely alleviated pressure. I had another contraction or two, and asked Ty, who had delivered in the pool, what a good position was to be in so the contractions didn't hurt. I tried leaning over the side of the pool, but that hurt too. (Although none of this was EXTREME pain, just pain.) I moved again and after another contraction I told Dr. Trautman I felt like I wanted to push. She asked if I wanted to, or my body did. I told her I wasn't sure. She checked and said there was no cervix, so I could. And I did. Andrea and Josh were near me and softly encouraging me...or maybe they were just being quiet. I was calm and already knew what to do. Pushes and rests and figuring out a good position and very soon we had a baby. Liz had to change gloves mid push so there was no catching...she kind of floated out. Pretty sure before I even got out of the tub there was more than one comment about me making it look easy. Quite frankly, this time it WAS easy. I hadn't really planned to birth in the water, but I hadn't planned not to either. It was comfortable and where I was when it was time. It definitely takes the pressure off the back, and everywhere. It was indeed the most comfortable birth I've done. And no, I have never had pain medication, so I would know comfort at a birth!
We moved to the bed. We nursed and snuggled. She was a natural at being a baby! She was so strong and her sucking reflex was excellent, plus she looked perfect because she hadn't been stressed during labor/delivery. It was so fun and peaceful to have her in our home right off. No changing rooms, no tubes, no monitors, no hookups, no overnight wake-ups, no unnecessary checking or prodding at the baby...just us. Healthy, happy, safe, clean. At home. My own VERY comfortable bed, shower, food, clothing. Yes, I LOVED it.
After Andrea had enjoyed the medical stuff and the brand new baby stuff, she went to Mom's to relieve her and give her the chance to come see too. Mom and Tyson came. How fun to have them so soon after birth! Soon after, the rest of the crew came and got to watch the newborn check Liz did. They were very enthralled and tried to be quiet and respectful. It was so cute. I was very tired at this point, and knew I'd get very little sleep during the night. Liz and Ty stayed until about 10, to make sure everything was wrapped up and the baby and I were doing okay.
Sunday, January 29, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I am glad everything went well with Lelia's birth! I am so excited you have a girl! YAY! Hope you are feeling back to normal....or as much as you can with a newborn! Congrats Jenn!!!
ReplyDeleteSaw your link on FB! Glad to hear all went well. And I'm so glad you finally got your little girl. She will be a tough one with 4 older brothers :)
ReplyDelete