Tyson was given permission to start Kindergarten this Spring. He goes one day a week, Tuesdays. He LOVES it and wishes he could go every day. So do I. He's bored out of his mind and really needs stimulation away from babies at home. And from his overstimulated mother...he is either really, really wonderfully helpful, or a little terd bugging his brothers or mother in any way he knows how!
He got permission because we would like him to skip Kindergarten and the teachers thought it would be best if they were able to observe him in a school setting to determine if he was a good candidate.
I'm not sure what I want to do with him yet. He has never had formal education, besides Parker teaching him and me helping him. Over Parker's shoulder he has learned to read and do math (he's quicker than Parker tho, cause he thinks things through quickly). I feel like Kindergarten would be a waste of a year to push his little brain to learn a little bit more. He'd have lots of fun coloring and listening to books...but is that really an essential part of education?
Teachers are funny. They said they think he should be in Kindergarten so he can be the leader. Well, I think a kid is going to be a leader no matter where he is. Just because he'd be the smartest kid doesn't mean he'd be the 'leader'. Also, they suggested he go to Kindergarten (you know, learn to stand in line and fold arms and be quiet in the halls and not poke people and share and all that vital stuff you only learn in Kindergarten), and then skip first grade like Parker is doing.
Wait.
Why is Kindergarten more important than 1st grade?? Don't they learn more just by merely knowing more to begin with and being at school a full day??
Yeah. Perhaps Kindergarten IS more important.
Or not.
I think his 'mean mom' taught him most of what he'll learn in Kindergarten. If he can't behave outside this house, I failed miserably at getting the 'mean mom' title.
Anyway, I'm planning on holding 'school' for the two of them all summer. Three days a week, three hour sessions (heaven help me not to kill them). They'll learn what they will miss in the grades they are skipping and hopefully they will get a challenge in their lives...not floating through like their parents did!!
I would ask Ann Williams. I think that her oldest went to Kindergarten but went up to 1st grade for part of the day to do reading/english. Maybe you could work something like that out. Good luck.
ReplyDeleteWow! Good luck Jenn! That is awesome you are doing this! I am very interested in hearing how it all works out.
ReplyDelete