(I wrote this a while ago, but didn't publish it til now...another long one I don't expect anyone to read...but it makes me cry when I read it now.)
As if our previous blessings weren't quite enough...
Josh worked his last day for Standard Optical on February 12th. We moved to Moses Lake, thinking his license would be issued and he'd start working on March 1st. Doesn't seem too long to wait between jobs...
Unless you're waiting for the. slowest. state. in. the. union.
We found out the licensing process in Washington state really does take FOREVER, no matter what you're waiting for.
Josh was amazing and called frequently to find out the status of his license. Time and time again he was told it was pending....PENDING WHAT???
(Apparently they take forever cause they forgot to do an aptitude test before hiring!)
Finally he talked to someone WITH aptitude and found out he was missing one little thing from the college, all he needed to do was have them SNAIL MAIL it over and then he'd be set...aside from the possible DAYS it could take to get all of it finalized.
So, he called the school; paperwork should be sent quickly!
We should be good...he should start working soon...but days turn into almost 2 weeks...why is it taking so long????
He called the state. He was told once a piece of mail enters the building, it can take DAYS to get from the mail room to the office it needs to be. REALLY?
By now it was middle of March and Josh and Dr. Creviston (his patiently waiting future employer) were getting desperate (as was our budget), and had decided it would have taken less time and been more cost efficient to fly Josh out to get the paper and hand deliver it himself to Olympia.
Well, I finally stepped in and suggested he call the school to make sure everything had happened on their end.
Good call, Jenn.
Unfortunately there IS an aptitude test at SCO, but some people get in even if they don't pass. The person who DID pass was out sick...the person who DIDN'T pass was filling in. She didn't know how to print a couple pages from a link sent via email, NOR did she know how to REPLY to an email. Supposedly she sent Josh an email letting him know that HE needed to fill out the paper and send it to her because she wasn't able to get it to work. He never got that email. She never bothered to call him either.
THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS WERE LOST in those days.
SO, he printed off the paper. WROTE his name on it (didn't even need to sign it or anything, just write his name on it...cause we're back in grade school here kids, apparently), faxed it over and called to make sure it had arrived. ONLY they were all gone cause it was 4:30 Memphis time. Oh boy. Blood was boiling.
The next day he called to ensure it was going to be over-nighted to Olypmia, paid for it himself. This was Friday, March 19th. Doesn't help that the next day was Saturday and no one would be working to get the package...but at least it'd be there Monday.
It was over that weekend that I decided I was going to pray for him to start work on Friday. I told my mom to pray for that, and asked Josh's family to as well.
I wasn't sure if this was going to be a lesson in 'learning what to pray for' or 'showing enough faith in prayer to get what you want'.
I insisted Josh call the State office Monday just to let the only competent person there know what had happened and that she should see his final paperwork shortly.
That was a good thing to insist.
By Wednesday we were feeling a little impatient. It seems like it had been long enough. Still no word.
By Thursday Dr. Creviston and all his staff were brainstorming ways to get it done...they were going to have someone in Memphis pick up the paperwork, fly it to Spokane where Josh would pick it up and hand deliver it to Olympia....they really were.
Josh called the state again just to see if it was any closer...of course not. The same compentent woman who had helped him before was sorry, but she still hadn't seen it, and because it hadn't come yet, she was sure even if it did arrive, Tuesday would be the earliest he'd be issued the license.
REALLY?
That's what I really started wondering what prayer lesson I was on the bulletin for. So, I took it up with the Lord. I explained that I wasn't trying to be selfish in requesting Josh start working the next day. I was concerned about Dr. Creviston, and his wife, and all the stress they had been through, and the money they were losing, and the MUCH needed vacation they could possibly take if Josh were working during Spring Break, the next week. I also explained that the staff had been through so much, scheduling and rescheduling appointments all month. I even mentioned that we needed to close on the house so that the owners wouldn't have to worry about it anymore. It came down to me telling the Lord that I wasn't trying to be selfish, and if I was, please forgive me, I just really wanted him to start working and relieve so much stress for other people...and it wouldn't hurt for some of ours to be quieted.
Friday. My sister was here. We were having fun.
We were in the car, driving home from WalMart.
Josh's cell phone rang...not completely unusual.
"Hello, this is Josh." Pause. "REALLY!! It has been ISSUED?"
First time since we moved here I was so close to crying I wiped a tear away.
I learned then what my prayer lesson was...pray your heart out. Petition the Lord. Tell him what you want, why you want it, and admit your weakness, then have faith...not just faith that He hears, but faith He'll allow your will because you have petitioned it to be His. And if your prayers don't seen to work, it's better for you and all involved the way it DOES happen.
Josh started working Monday, March 29th.
The next blessing came in a lot the same way. We had a big tax return coming this year. When we originally found out the amount, we spent it on paper right away. We did a lot of charitable things with it, but we also bought a few 'comfort' and 'upgrade'-type things for the house. However, as each day passed that Josh was not working, and money was still floating merrily out of our accounts, it soon became apparent that our tax return was not to be 'fun' money at all...not even charity money. It was quickly becoming a down payment.
However, with almost a month gone since we sent it in, and a closing date coming ever nearer, we were getting worried. We had checked our account every day to see if the money had been deposited. After all, we kinda had to prove we had the money somewhere before they'd qualify us for the loan and closing anyway.
This was the Wednesday after Josh started working that I was getting nervous. We really didn't have money for all in our immediate path...it HAD to come from somewhere.
So, I talked to the Lord about that too. That night I let Him know all the reasons it was important that we get our tax return...that it wasn't so I could buy a new vacuum and rugs for my house, but for the sellers, and so my mom didn't have to bail us out and write a bunch of weird letters for the bank, and just so that things could run smoothly toward us closing on this house...after we had already been pushing it back.
Josh called the next morning from work. I had 'given it to God,' as they say, so I hadn't thought about it, but Josh casually mentioned that the money had been deposited.
Wow.
You bet I said a prayer in my heart right then and there. And probably for the rest of the day.
I don't know that I have done anything special to deserve the heavens to be pouring out blessings that we don't have room enough to receive them, but the spirit testifies to me that it is doing lots of little things all my life to show my Father in Heaven that He is my God, my Father, and the person I most want to please in this life...and recognizing all along that these things are blessings from Him, that if used correctly, will not only bless my life, but many other lives.
Thanks, Father, for all the blessings the last couple months. I am humbled. I WILL use them to bless others. I promise.
Thursday, April 8, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Jenn,
ReplyDeleteI love your writing! I am so happy that you've been given some huge blessings lately. It is so hard to keep a happy outlook when your problems are caused by other people's lameness. But I found out that when Chris got laid off I could at least be happy and greatful for all of the things we did have and all of the people who loved us and prayed for us. I could at least show Heavenly Father a smile through the trial. I thought that might count for something.
Thank you for your example. Faith is such an essential quality in these last days.
By the way, I just started a blog:cakeandotherimportantthings.blogspot.com
I know you're a busy mom but I thought reading each other's might be a fun way to kind of stay close even though we're so far away.
take care,
Jenn,
ReplyDeleteYou're AWESOME!!
Wow, what a journey. You are amazing Jenn! Prayer does work. I am glad things turned out well, even with some major hurdles in the way!
ReplyDelete