I suppose most people who take the time to read this (which is yet again too long) will already know most of what happened to us this year, which was a lot, so rather than do a whole recap, I'll do the 'girl' thing and talk more about feelings.
Those feelings will focus on the man who made my life possible to live through death, birth, and all that happens in between...my Joshua.
January he started at a new internship site, my dad was diagnosed with Lukemia, and we knew I was pregnant. He took any day off he could, and came immediately when I called crying about my dad's latest diagnoses.
Josh's birthday is February 6th. I did my best to do something, but at that point I was going to the hospital 3-4 times a week, taking care of kids and trying to live in a half-livable house. The next morning my dad passed away. Josh didn't care that his birthday was pushed to the side, he cared that the first wonderful man in my life had died...and he comforted not just me, but my mom and sister, and whoever else needed a strong man.
The next few months were busy with him looking for a job and getting ready to graduate. We traveled to a couple job sites...to no avail. He graduated in May as an optometrist and had no job prospect....but that didn't get him down! He kept looking and in the mean time he took care of us: he installed doors in a door-less house, he made dinner, he cleaned, he did other home-building projects, and he let me cry whenever I needed. His Granddaddy also passed away, which was almost surreal considering neither of us has been very acquainted with death.
Summer passed slowly with lots of looking for jobs and hoping something would be right (nothing ever was). Josh DID start working one day a week for a doctor in Salt Lake.
August came and Spencer was born. And Josh kept taking care of me; and three little boys who by this time, thought Dad was more Mom than Mom was. He let me sleep in every morning. He got up at night with the bigger boys. He cleaned vomit, diarrhea, and anything else. (Yes, he STILL does all these things now.)
September we thought we'd be moving to Las Vegas...but that wasn't right either. Instead the Lord was just distracting us until the job Josh is at now opened up, and until Spencer and I figured out how to do feedings AND take care of the other boys.
He started working for Standard Optical in October...but he insisted he have my birthday off.
Parker also started school, which Josh was nervous and excited about. HE got up early to make sure Parker was ready, and since then has made sure he's on time for the bus, or takes him to school on his way to work when we've all slept in a little. (Except for those mornings Parker gets himself all ready and wakes us up when it's time for him to leave...we had to insist he wake us after he left without us knowing one morning...yay for kids who are self-sufficient!!!) Parker is doing AMAZINGLY at school. We hope he'll get into an accelerated program next year!
With Dad gone all the time, and Parker some of it, Tyson has become my big helper. I love to take him on shopping trips...he pushes his own cart, unloads bags into the car, and brings them in when we're home. He also happily does little helper things around the house. Plus he's teaching himself letters, numbers, and reading because even when I want to help him, at LEAST two other kids need me too.
Josh has felt satisfied being able to finally use his skills and provide for his family (we're still surprised when he gets a paycheck...we've not made this much money our married life!). His little boys, however, sure miss their dad. Kaden often asks where Dada is, and when he's finally home, only he can be the comforter. Luckily Josh loves it! And I love my little Kade!! He's so clear when he talks, he likes to follow me around, and he loves Spencer too much...I'm often rescuing the baby.
Josh also sacrifices all his free time for us. He never requests 'down time' when he comes in the door from a 10-hour day...he jumps in with whatever is going on--sometimes a messy diaper has been waiting for him, sometimes a crying baby, sometimes homework, sometimes nothing to eat for dinner--but he never complains, he helps.
So, in honor of the man I would submit for Husband of the Year, Father of the Year, Man of the Year, Optometrist of the Year, and Bestest Ever....I love you Josh. I could not have lived through this year without out you, and I look forward to all the years ahead to live WITH you. And after all this, it'll be interesting to see what ELSE life can fling at us!! (For the record, we're hoping this year includes a move to Washington...it's the latest place in the works!!)
Monday, December 28, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
What a great post! I have been SUPER lazy the past couple of weeks (read my blog to find out why) and Quentin keep stepping up to the plate. Though, today, he jokingly said that he should stop helping so much because I'm becoming a little too helpless--like when I almost refused to get the extension cord for his laptop--so we could watch the new Sense and Sensibility--while he was cooking my breakfast this morning.
ReplyDeleteJenn,the few times I've been around Josh have confirmed this post. He struck me as a husband who doesn't have to conciously try to be helpful, he just IS! What you wrote made me very happy for you and made me appreciate Chris a lot more. How did we ever get so blessed? Love you.
ReplyDeleteVery well said Jenn! You are a sweetheart! I always love reading your stuff. You is a good writer! :)
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful post and a wonderful husband you have! Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDelete