It has been a while...that's what happens when you have 4 boys. Right now the one behind me is sitting in a diaper that has been pooped in for quite some time, taking the cover off the nasty heat vent--he won't die though, so who cares, and it's REALLY not worth the fight it takes to change his diaper. When he's miserable, he'll care.
But, that's not what I need to get off my chest today (out of the room would be nice, he stinks!).
I am honestly wondering if more space would make me happier, or just make more places for messes to creep into.
Our house is small...our RENTAL house is small (I'd never buy another small house again, unless someone gave me more than half the money to buy it with...then I'd turn around and sell for profit). Three bedrooms, "2" bathrooms, a family room, a living room, a kitchen and a laundry room. Doesn't sound small. Sure, I know that.
Let's start with the room I'm in though.
It has a computer hutch, and a filing cabinet crammed into a little 'space'. It has a toddler bed and a crib smashed into one corner and a dresser in the other...can't actually open the dresser all the way cause the beds are too close.
(WOW this kid REEKS!)
There is a closet, but it's small. There are built-in shelves too, and they are well-used, but they look messy.
So I don't call this much of a bedroom, especially for two little kids.
My "Master" bedroom is lame. We have to move our bed according to the season b/c of heat vent and bathroom placement (not worth the time to explain that). Oh, and the 'master bath' is not more than a section of the other bathroom scooped out to make another bathroom the size of a closet. It does happen to be bigger than our closet though, which is not helpful.
So, I'm wondering, after a day of trying to organize and clean and getting kinda irritated about the noise of the boys and the messes they make right after I clean a room, if more space would actually reduce my stress, irritation, and overall chaos of life??
It SOUNDS nice to tell the kids to go downstairs with their noise. They can make their mess in the basement and I can keep "my" space clean and orderly. I'd only have to venture into the land of the boys occasionally to clean and gather laundry. I could still be my natzi self and have their toys in bins, so they couldn't make too big of a mess before cleaning up.
Now, I won't complain TOO much about the laundry room, but it's feelin' kinda small too. It's a large room, but when you pack all that stuff we have into it, it shrinks...I swear.
It does seem like a happier life to have more space......
Maybe one day I'll find out for sure. By then I won't have the same dilemmas, so I may never know.
Until then, I hope my sweet boys survive my irrational desire for a clean home.
Monday, December 7, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Well, sounds like your house is smaller than mine, and has two extra kids. Seriously, though, unless you are an organized person, your house, no matter how large is going to be messy and unorganized. (And I mean "you" as in the general "you.") We are medium on the cleanliness organization spectrum, and it is amazing how fast things clutter up. I mean, really, our counterspace inscreased 5-fold when we moved, and we still junk it up! The only solution is to consolidate--toss things, reduce paper (I love e-bills and paying online!!!), USE those plastic bins and vacuum bags lying around full of junk that REALLY should be thrown away in the first place. Having no money CAN help because then at least you can't buy as much crap to keep filling up your house. (Well, at least it works around here--sort of.)
ReplyDeleteP.s. Gotta get your kids to help clean, too. If you have to, get serious and tell them that if YOU have to clean up their assigned toys, they're going bye-bye for a while. Good luck!
P.p.s. I feel your pain. Please don't think that my house is clean and organized. I DID vacuum today, some cheerios the kids spilled all over the carpet because my visiting teachers were coming over, only to have my kids dump half-broken goldfish all over the carpet WHILE they were here. Needless to say, there are still broken goldfish in my living room.
A small 2 bedrm apt after a large lovely home, is cramped, but we love being on a mission and we can't see the trees in the forest. Wonderful Seminary kids, over 200 of them, every morning at 5:30AM. This is heaven. I had to teach at the last minute this morning when one of our teachers called in sick, while we were having our morning couple prayer. Aloha, Sister M
ReplyDelete