I guess once I feel good, I see no need to whine, or write about anything. However, the liveliness that has graced our home is noteworthy, to say the least.
Last Thursday (September 22nd) I went in for my routine prenatal check, and then had a consultation about a blood-allergy test we did on Kaden (our Midwife is also our Natropath). Life was normal until then. His test showed allergic reactions to every food we regularly eat, except the fruits and veggies. So, right there I decided our whole family would need to change our diets in order to help Kaden, and to see if any of the rest of us have similar issues. Boy, that was kinda dumb. (Side note: We decided to have him tested kinda because our doctor suggested it, and kinda because he is SUCH a cranky kid. He also complains of stomach pains somewhat regularly, only has a BM every other day, and is more likely than the other boys to have any illness result in bowel issues too. He tends to have a stuffy nose often and will be more lethargic on any given day than I remember my other boys being. He does NOT eat a high sugar, high fat or high anything diet, so it's not like I was trying to poison him with unhealthy food. HAHA, instead I was poisoning him with HEALTHY foods.)
So with that heavy on my mind, I tried to take it in while surviving the rest of the day. So then of course while we were eating dinner, Spencer has to follow Tyson upstairs, go in a separate room, and then cry the cry of death. He is the toughest of little guys, so when I saw pure fear in his little eyes and when he could not stop crying, even when he really tried, I KNEW something was really not okay. I assumed it was a bone-related issue because he had no marks on his skin. So, I called the chiropractor, knowing it would be cheaper to have him checked there first. Little did I know the chiropractor does house calls!
Less than 10 minutes later he was here, and his movement of Spencer's body and careful looking over him informed us that no bone was out of joint, but more likely a break or sprain. He did a light adjustment on Spencer's Sacrum, and Spencer didn't cry again. SO grateful I thought to make that call first.
We thought about waiting until the following morning to take him to an urgent care, but after phone calls indicated that there was not a long wait, I thought it best to go then and avoid morning rushes. Luckily I chose right. We were in and out...with a broken Tibia...in no time. That news was a HUGE blow considering it came with the instructions that he should not walk on it for 6 weeks.
Right.
He's 2. I have 7 weeks of pregnancy left.
Yeah. Right.
The next days were endless, or have been since, rather. I have spent HOURS pouring over recipe books that are gluten free, and then have suggestions of how to substitute eggs, dairy, peanuts, almonds, and soy. Add with those coconut oil and garlic and you pretty much can't eat anything.
Plus I have worried over Spencer. He didn't do well the first two nights. By Saturday night having not slept I had had enough and finally at 1 AM I took the darn wrap off his leg....only to find that what had actually been hurting him was the sores he had developed on his foot and heel. SO wish I had followed the instinctive prompting to take it off earlier. We re-wrapped it every night after that, just to let his foot get air. He moved his leg around as if nothing had happened, and clearly had no pain (I'm still not convinced he needs the dumb cast).
SO, the blessings:
1. Spencer is mobile. He has taught me that feeling sorry for yourself when you are in the midst of a situation that cannot change is simply a waste of time and energy needed for figuring out how to live with it. He scoots around, asks for help, figures things out, and even wrestles and plays basketball with his brothers--who have so cutely accommodated him by playing 'floor ball'.
2. Spencer only has to have the non-walking hard cast for 3 weeks. Very much an answer to prayers, considering it could have been 6!! He asks to see the doctor every day. Somehow he knows that will mean the cast comes off again.
3. We are not starving...we are stretching ourselves, learning, and 'cleaning out'. There are tasty things to be had that do not involve gluten, dairy, or eggs. It isn't the same, but it's still good.
4. Kaden may already be showing signs of improvement. He has seemed more capable of dealing with 'no' for an answer, and has been more loving and patient with his brothers. Plus, more important to me than anyone, he has had bowel movements every day, with no complaints of stomach pain....only leg pain from having to sit and wait for me too long.
5. Kaden is a good sport!! When I told him we were changing our food because his body doesn't like some of the things we are eating, he didn't have an issue. He hasn't whined about not being able to have the food he's used to. He doesn't eat as much now, but he's eating and not complaining.
6. We are all learning to sacrifice. Parker and I had a bit of a cry together about the food. Josh has been SO supportive and not eaten anything he shouldn't, even when no one was watching. Tyson has tasted everything, lied about liking it, and kept eating just so I don't feel bad. (Spencer's not eating much, but I don't know if that is related to his decreased mobility or dislike of food.) I have wanted to give up because I am making EVERYTHING we eat from scratch (except Chex cereal and tortilla chips), and it's wearing me out! Besides the fact I hate being in the kitchen when I'm pregnant as a general rule anyway. But I'm not giving up--there are so many reasons why I can't.
7. Perhaps this is the unseen blessing--I'm on my feet and more busy. I'm completely exhausted every night. My body is being pushed and stretched more than I'd like it to be. But considering the circumstances surround the upcoming birth of this baby, I tend to believe this is what I NEED, whether I like it or not. So, in the end, all this stress could be a HUGE blessing. Even so far as having to carry Spencer around--which I, and he, sometimes prefer to do on my back.
In the end, we hope our prayers are answered and there are little or no foods that Kaden or any of us have to avoid for life. Josh had the impression that if we pray about it and feel like it's appropriate, Kaden, or any of us, can be healed with a priesthood blessing. So we'll definitely be praying and pondering and hoping to know the Lord's will. This is a huge deal, and can effect SO many things you don't even think about until it happens to you. And although I have a testimony that we suffer some things in this life for our good, some things may not have to be endured if we but ask the Lord.
Kaden will very likely be able to add foods back in after we purge his body for 4 weeks. So either way, I know all we are doing will not be forever. But if he had to live without gluten for life...it's a big deal. (I want to start by adding Coconut oil back in!! I know that is weird, but there is only ONE butter alternative we have found and it's REALLY expensive and can't be used in place of butter because it's a 'spread' and too watery. Coconut oil is the solution to many unsolvable issues right now! (Like good-tasting popcorn too!)
And, just to add it in--I'm feeling emotionally okay. Not great, cause I'm still pregnant, but okay. My mom has been a HUGE blessing and help. These couple additional issues have made her even more invaluable right now. I am handling things as best I can. I was doing so well I tried going off the herbal 'happy pills', but when I started hating Josh, I decided the pills better stay.
The baby is growing and seems to be fine. Still moves like crazy, especially when I lay down at night. Josh has enjoyed watching the 'show' across my belly and also feeling around to decipher body parts. I'm just glad we're closer to being done. September went by quickly, so I'll keep myself busy this month and hope it does the same.
Sunday, October 2, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Wow - amazing how you have adapted to everything!! Keep smiling..love you, mom
ReplyDeleteWow, lots of things happening near the end of the birth of your baby! I am glad things are going better with Spencer and Kaden. I don't know what I would do if I had to switch all of our food. You are doing such a great job in showing forth pure love in all your sacrifices! Love you!
ReplyDelete